Re-advertise for the Director of Research at Institute of Policy Analysis and Research (IPAR)(Deadline:02/07/2021)
🏘️ About the Organization and Job Details
The Institute of Policy Analysis and Research- IPAR-Rwanda is an independent think tank in Rwanda with a reputation for high quality, cutting edge research and policy publications, which became fully operational in May 2008. IPAR-Rwanda exists to enhance evidence based policy making and to promote the culture of debate and dialogue on policy issues in Rwanda through conducting timely, relevant, high quality , policy oriented analysis and research. Since its inception, IPAR-Rwanda has successfully implemented research projects, which have made its profile more outstanding in terms of delivering timely analysis based on high quality evidence base research. IPAR-Rwanda has a team of 20 full time researchers and is currently looking for a Director of Research. IPAR is offering a competitive local conditions for this position.
Website : http://www.ipar-rwanda.org
📋 Job Description
Job Position Title
Director of Research
Number of Job Positions
he objectives of the institution are geared towards informing policy that impact the lives of Rwandans through poverty reduction and increasing the wellbeing of Rwandan citizens. They include the following:
- To conduct high quality research and policy analysis in in strategic areas of economic social governance affairs and justice such as macro-economic issues, trade and industry, public finance, poverty alleviation, decentralization, human resources development, social welfare, environment and natural resources, agriculture and rural development, investment and private sector development.
- Promote a culture of debate, organize for and discussion with decision makers and inform the public on relevant policy issues.
- Provide training in relevant research areas as well as Building and strengthening local capacities in a wide array of topics relevant to the Country development programs thereby informing policy makers and other stakeholders in the process of policy formulation, implementation and evaluation.
- The institute’s purpose is to undertake objective research and analysis, organize forums for exchange of ideas on public policy and establish capacity building programs in order to build human and institutional capacities required to improve the quality of public policies in Rwanda in areas of economy, development administration and governance, with a view to contribute to the achievement of national development goals such as poverty reduction, accelerate economic growth, peace and stability, and many others.
Job Duties& Tasks and Responsibilities
The Director of Research will apply his expertise in research and leadership to help the Executive Director drive IPAR objectives through IPAR’s research agenda. He/She will support the organization to gain domestic and international recognition for its achievements. He/ She will transfer his valuable and diverse skills set to the growing IPAR research team. A strong professional role-model for the team, the Research Director will lead by example, delivering and coordinating high impact, international standard research projects and offering training, coaching and mentoring to the research team.
. a. The Director of Research’s Aims
- To provide intellectual leadership to the organization alongside IPAR’s Executive Director, and to ensure IPAR’s research output is quality, timely, relevant and high impact
- To design, lead and deliver research programs, consultancy assignments, projects and policy briefs that contribute to meeting IPAR’s core objectives
- To provide leadership in research project management: developing sustainable means to ensure that IPAR’s research is quality assured, submitted to rigorous deadlines, and that budgets are properly designed and managed
- To design, develop and coordinate the implementation of a training program for IPAR researchers in research methods and management that demonstrates sustainable results
- To provide on the job mentoring and coaching of IPAR research staff in all areas of their work
- To develop funding proposals and drive the organization’s ability to access new and diverse funding sources
- To contribute to building the public profile of the organization by creating opportunities to participate in various forms of dialogue with public, not-for-profit, private and donor stakeholders and by public speaking and contributing to print and broadcast media.
- Through the organization, to generate capacity building interventions to increase the quality of evidence-based policy making in Rwanda.
The Director of Research will be responsible for the delivery:
Timely and quality research reports and briefs that inform policy and facilitate decision making in Rwanda
Detailed strategy to advise and disseminate timely, research reports that informs policy in the Country
Annual resource mobilization strategy through research project proposals to sustain organizational functioning
Capacity building strategy for the research team
Department’s annual work plan and budget in relation to research programs, consultancy assignments and policy briefs.
Quarterly departmental reports on the status of the research undertakings and dissemination.
Any other task that may be to him/ her by the Executive Director.
💼 Job Specification
Job requirements Needed
Experience ,Qualification , Skills and Other Abilities Needed
Highly motivated research professional with at least 10 years relevant experience, active research Institutions or thinktanks.
At least a minimum of 3 years experience as a Director of Research in a reputable research or thinktank institution.
PhD in Economics, Political science, social science, and any other relevant fields from a top-tier university.
Self-starting and entrepreneurial individual with experience of making policy change happen in governments and/or international institutions with a firm understanding of policy analysis and how to influence the policymaking process
Record of high quality research output demonstrable by publications in prestigious outlets including high quality journals, policy documents and newspapers
Expertise in qualitative and quantitative research methods and the ability and willingness to transfer those skills to others
Strong and demonstrable research administration and budget management skills and the willingness to transfer those skills to others
Leadership track record with experience of managing people, mentoring and skills transfer within a multi-disciplinary research environment
Experience of undertaking a similar role in a policy research institute or think tank – and experience of developing working partnerships with similar bodies locally, regionally and internationally
Experience of international development, and/or regional research experience.
Fluency in English, with working knowledge of French and/or Kinyarwanda.
Highly numerate, with strong skills in socio-economic and statistical analysis, with expertise in statistical software (e.g. SPSS, STATA).
Proficiency in Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, Power Point, Outlook)
🌐 How to Apply
Job Application Documents Needed
Application Channel Accepted
Application Deadline Provided
Interested candidates should send a short cover letter and CV to email@example.com by 02/07/2021 at 03:00 pm. Short listed candidates will then be interviewed shortly afterwards. Should you have any further questions please send an e-mail on the above e-mail addresses with “Director of Research” in the subject line.
N.B: Those who have already applied for the position in the first advertisement should not apply for this re-advertisement as their CVs will also be considered.
Please note that only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.